Thank you for your interest in Hong Kong Academy. We understand the importance of finding the best-fit school for your family, and we encourage you to explore our website, visit our school and talk to our admissions team before applying.
The admissions policy at Hong Kong Academy is consistent with our values as a community and our commitment to diversity. We view each child as an individual and evaluate their ability to succeed in the classroom, as well as our ability to enable them to reach their full potential. We expect every student and family to be contributing members of our school community.
We recommend that new families refer to the Before Applying FAQ’s in advance of starting the application. In addition to input from parents, the process will also require input from current teachers and applicants themselves, depending on the grade being applied for. Please ensure that you are applying for the correct grade and school year. Click here to view our international school's grade comparison chart.
Please note that the 'New Applicants' stage is an inquiry and does not constitute the whole application. Should your child go on to become an HKA student, the information that you enter here will automatically be transferred into our database (Veracross) and will form the basis of your child's data profile.
Students must be age appropriate for their grade. The birthday cut-off date for the Primary and Secondary School is 31st August.
Pre-K composite classes include children from the Pre-K1 and Pre-K2 age criteria. For example:
- Playgroup class 2 years old by 31st August of enrolling year.
- Pre-K class: 3-4 years old by 31st August of enrolling year (must be fully toilet trained).
- K class: 5 years old by 31st August of enrolling year.
- Grade 1 class-6 years old by 31st August of enrolling year
In exceptional cases, students may be granted a place outside this age requirement if warranted by the student’s past school experience, maturity and assessment results, and there is space availability in an age appropriate class. We operate a wait pool, and acceptance is not based on the date of application. HKA has a rolling admissions policy and will accept candidates on the basis of the given requirements all year round.
Students must possess a Hong Kong Identity Card or valid visa issued by the Immigration Department to be eligible for enrolment at Hong Kong Academy. Parents/guardians are responsible for providing this documentation to the school upon request. Hong Kong Academy does not provide Student/Dependent visas. Students must live with either one or both of their parents. If a student is not living with his/her parents, a legal guardianship must be established and enrolment must be approved by the Head of School.
- Siblings are given priority over “new” applicants.
- Families who apply for all eligible children are prioritised.
- Previously enrolled students are prioritised (this does not include students who have left HKA to join another school in Hong Kong).
- Students who bring diversity of nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, family blend, learning styles and needs and gender are prioritised.
- Families who embrace the school’s philosophy, core values and curriculum are prioritised.
At Hong Kong Academy, we practice a family policy that gives priority for class places to families who will enrol all their age-appropriate children at our school. This policy sustains our commitment to establishing inclusive classrooms with differing abilities as well as to our community spirit. The school reserves the right not to accept or re-enrol any student in Primary School who has an eligible, school-age, older sibling that does not attend Hong Kong Academy Secondary School.
Children who need learner support are admitted upon the same requirements as other students. They must be able to be successful in the mainstream classroom with minimal outside support services. We seek diversity in this as well, be they children who are performing beyond grade level expectations, a child with physical disabilities, etc. Students who are receiving additional support in the school are required to have all age appropriate siblings attend HKA, subject to space.
The application fee is paid upon application for admission and is a one off, non-refundable payment (see School Fees) that covers the following services:
- Family introduction and individualised visit to Hong Kong Academy.
- Online application processing and maintenance.
- Liaising with current school.
- Student shadow days (in Secondary School).
- Educational assessment of all application documents.
- Meetings with principal or specialists, for example, therapists or members of the Learner Support team (if required).
- All standard face to face, group or online academic admissions assessments.
- Specialist English language attainment assessment (if required).
- Application is one time only and applications are valid until a family enters the school (updates required by family). This means that you do not have to pay the application fee annually.
The application fee does not include:
- Extended assessments which may include Speech and/or OT evaluations and classroom visits. These assessments may carry a pre-agreed additional fee and will result in specialist reports which will be the property of the parents.